CMOS digital ASIC design process
CMOS is a Digital
Integrated Circuit design process for Very large scale productions. The compact term for the process is CMOS VLSI (Very Large
This design flow is a custom flow targeted specifically for mass production of IC’s for various applications. The compact term for the flow is ASIC (Application specific Integrated circuits)
CMOS IC design Process
The CMOS circuit design process mainly involves following steps
1. Design Specifications.
2. Logic design, synthesis and timing analysis (with targeted layout libraries.) The final output of this process is a gate-
3. Translate gate level circuit into a layout primarily using CMOS cells.
4. Use the layout’s from step 3 to calculate initial performance
parasitic’s using circuit extraction program’s.
5. Run simulations using parasitic's from step 4. Compare the results with step 1.
6. Optimize the circuit in step 3 using results from step 5 to achieve step 1.
7. Fabricate and test the circuit in step 3.